|Courtesy of HomeRiteJacksonville.com|
By Gates Dearen
Whether you are looking to renovate your home, modernize a room, or add curb appeal to a house you are looking to flip, replacing old worn out windows is a great way to add value without breaking the bank. Once you decide to visit a window and door showroom, one of the first choices you will be asked to make is, whether you prefer single or double hung windows. Most homeowner’s response is usually, “Single or double what?” To take the confusion and guesswork out of the equation, I thought I’d devote today’s blog to preventing you from getting hung up on single or double hung windows.
Are You Seeing Single or Double?
Single hung windows are vertical windows that are designed to have a stationary top and a bottom half that can be opened up. This type of window is available in either aluminum or vinyl and feature a counterbalancing mechanism that enables you to open them fully or just part way. These are our most popular windows. They provide excellent energy savings and are easy to maintain since they have fewer moving parts than double-hung windows. We believe their energy savings, simplicity and price are their best-selling features. People tell us that they offer the most bang for the buck.
What’s the difference?
For one thing, single-hung windows cost less (as much as 20% less), while double hung windows offer more ways to open the windows at a higher price.
- · Ventilation – Single Hung windows will vent heat when the bottom window is open. A double-
Courtesy of HomeRiteJacksonville.com
- · Double hung windows will allow you to open the top windows a bit during rain showers, allowing you to still get some ventilation without letting in the rain. Again, you have to weight this advantage against the increase in cost.
Do you enjoy cleaning?
Nobody likes to clean, especially if they must climb a tall ladder to clean second story windows. This was true for all single hug windows until recently. Today, however cleaning any window can be performed by using your hose, and many of the new spray cleaning solutions that clean and don’t leave any streaks. Spray the outside of your windows, and you’re done. However, if you like to clean, double-hung windows allow you to tilt the sashes inward to make it, so you can clean them from inside the house. Again, you have to pay a little more for this extra feature.
|Courtesy of HomeRiteJacksonville.com|
Safety & Security Built-In
If you love the pitter patter of tiny feet, but worry about safety, know that both types of windows offer locking mechanisms. Since most children love to climb, having the ability to close and lock the bottom sash is an important feature. However, if you like to keep your windows partially open at night and locked, you will have to spend the extra money to get double-hung window models because that is a feature that only double-hung windows have.
Everyone who lives in Florida dreads hurricanes and other windstorms that pass through the Sunshine State with startling regularity during the spring and summer. Our single-hung windows offer a DP 50 to DP 65 rating (depending on the size of the window). This provides significant windstorm protection. Their DP-50 rating means they are designed to protect your home at up to a Category 4 hurricane. The DP-50 rating means they are designed to deflect a 2x4 being propelled at 50 feet per second without shattering. This feature is a good example of why our single-hung windows are very cost effective.
If you’re looking for impact resistance with more features, you will have to spend a little more and get our vinyl double-hung impact resistance windows that are also DP -50 rated. Visit this webpage for more details. HomeRite vinyl double-hung impact windows come equipped with fortified welded frames and foam insulation that will keep your home weather-tight during storms, and even most hurricanes. Plus, they also offer all the opening and locking options of our other double-hung windows.
Single Hung Windows
- Multi-chambered construction provides thermally efficient air pockets
- Top glass is dry glazed for easy glass removal
- Insulating glass helps reduce heating and cooling costs. Maintenance-free, vinyl extrusions will not stick or swell due to moisture
- Fully weather stripped to keep the wind and weather outside
- Enviro-seal Spacer System reduces energy costs
- Metal reinforcement in sash for added durability
- Forced entry resistant Cam Latch – meets new AAMA requirements, provides security in the home
- Full-length lift rail for easy up and down operation
- Sloping sill design prevents interior water leakage
Double Hung Windows
- · Stylish welded mainframe design with a full 3 1/4″ frame depth assures structural integrity and durable construction.
- · Foam insulation wrap on the frame provides weather tightness.
- · The Envirosealed glass system reduces heating and cooling costs, deadens sound and provides increased comfort. Standard Double Strength Glass Package for maximum energy efficiency.
- · Spring-loaded night latches add security while allowing both window sash to remain partially open for ventilation.
- · Patented detent clip prevents the top sash from drifting; easier to close and lock the window.
- · Interlock for unsurpassed weather tightness.
- · Heavy-duty, white weather-stripping creates a barrier to air and water infiltration; prevents drafts and assures a tight fit.
- · Steel reinforced meeting rails for increased strength and weather tightness.
- · Both sashes are exterior glazed and aesthetically beveled to the glass for an elegant design and appearance.
- · True sloping sill design allows water run off to the outside of your home.
- · Reinforced sashes to withstand DP Requirements
If you’re looking for a low cost, energy efficient, impact resistant, simple to use and easy to maintain
window, single-hung windows are your best bet. If you want more features like partially open locking, the ability to tilt the windows inward for cleaning and impact resistance, you will probably choose a double-hung window. The good news is we offer these and other choices as well. Whether you choose to go with single or double-hung windows, you should know that our windows are designed not just for beauty but are built to last. State-of-the-art technology is used to create clean window lines that will improve your home’s appearance. Using the highest quality materials and sophisticated manufacturing techniques, we produce well-built, easy-to-install windows that will provide years of comfort for your family.
|Sixth year in a Row!|
Gates Dearen is the co-owner of HomeRite Windows and Doors in Jacksonville, Florida. He and Richard Walden have been serving the building products industry in Florida for over 25 years. They strive to match homeowners with the right windows and doors for their homes and budgets. They make the home improvement process pleasant with first-rate, energy-efficient products, affordable pricing, and award-winning installers who employ the best practices and who always treat customers and their property with the utmost respect.